Wednesday, April 29, 2009

PYO Happiness

It seems pretty obvious but sometimes we forget we are responsible for our own happiness and that we deserve to be happy and live our lives as we wish even if it means letting others down or going against their beliefs or expectations of life.

It's been a long time coming but finally I am starting to take responsibility for my happiness. Yes I gave up my well paying job which provided financial security, money to pay for my rent in my penthouse apartment with harbour views and had been my home since moving to Sydney more than 5 years ago, money to travel to any destination whether it be the local pub or the other side of the world. I gave up most of my material items thinking I would feel a sense of freedom but nah I still felt weighed down until the day I went PYO. That day not only did I pick my own apples I started picking my own happiness.

We haven't long left Wellington on our drive to Wanganui - Kristie wants to look for boots. We have picked up Rob. I'm in the back which means I don't have to talk - Yay I can just stare out the window and admire the beautiful scenery and we fly on by. I smile as I am reminded how at home I feel in New Zealand and how beautiful it truly is. The sun shines through the window and I thank the universe for the good weather that is apparently such a rarity in this part of the country.

We pull up at the PYO place and check out the board. Looks like we have missed the eggplants and capsicums but tomatoes are still available and apples are plentiful. We grab our buckets and off we set. Good job we have Rob - us shorties are never going to reach those apples or are we.... Those shiney red apples are calling me. At first I slip but second attempt and I have my bucket wedged between two branches and I am half way up the tree. My jeans are multi coloured as I brush past the lichens. It smells sweet and I want to stay but my bucket is full and we have no need for more than the 3 buckets we have collectively collected.

That's a lot of apples..... so what are we going to do with them all. For two days we peel, de core, cook and eat apples. Apple pie, apple mush, apple crumple, apple chutney, dehydrated apples in between weeding and feeding the garden. We plan our meals around what will go well with the delish wonderment that is apple chutney. We jar it up and give to friends - oh no we are out we'll have to make some more........


I'm sitting in Cafe Sydney. I am blessed. I have my beautiful friends around me, the view is amazing. I sip of my champagne and know that although I head back to the UK tomorrow that I will treasure this moment forever. I'm brought back to reality Brian and Bunny are arguing about which desert we should get. Of course the taster plate is the way to go. mmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment